Social Care For Adults




For older and vulnerable adults in particular, health and social care systems both play major roles in independence and well being.

Being informed about where to get the right help at the right time can empower people to be in control, both for themselves and family members.

If you are a carer, please see our information for carers page for useful information on support and advice.

The local council are responsible for assessment for packages of care and entitlement. You or your family member can ask for this without your GP having to refer you. Please see Coventry City Council Adult Social care website for more information

Where you and your GP identify a need to bring together the medical and social aspects, the Integrated Neighbourhood Team (INT) is what they may refer you too. This is intended for those with complex needs such as multiple medical conditions and repeated admissions.

INT or “Your Health at Home” work in the community to help frail elderly people become more independent and safer within their own homes. The team can involve social workers, district nurses, health visitors, mental health nurses and doctors. By sharing information better, acting sooner and in a more proactive manner, the teams believe they can help stop frail elderly patients ending up with a spell of hospital care.

You can arrange your own or your family members care directly with a local care agency. You may prefer to do this is you know you will be self-funding due to financial circumstances (currently £23,250 cut off) as there is no waiting for social services to do an assessment. Coventry Council has an adult social care directory with links to home care advice and also lists all agencies, which you can then check for CQC ratings and other reviews.

We hope this information is useful. If you have any comments or feedback, please let us know via our secure online form